There are two awards for this category:
- Small - medium organisation (up to 10,000 homes owned and managed)
- Large organisation (over 10,000 homes owned and managed)
This award will recognise the highest performing housing association finance team, delivering excellent customer service.
A truly exceptional finance team works in close harmony with the rest of the organisation above and beyond processing salaries, supplier payments and generating historical numerical data. They anticipate the most appropriate financial information that decision-makers need, and communicate this information in a timely and comprehensive manner.
- assess whether there is a clear link between the finance team’s strategy and objectives to the overall strategy and objectives of the organisation
- look for evidence of how the services delivered by the organisation benefit from close and ongoing interaction with the finance team. For example, reliance on finance by the organisation to assess and minimise the impact of recent Government announcements on the delivery of housing
- be influenced by the degree of financial control achieved, the quality, timeliness and format of financial reporting and financial compliance. For example, on the ease of introducing the new accounting framework, approach to renegotiation loan covenants and the extent to which the changes are communicated to the leadership team, highlighting potential impacts, etc.
- have regard for continual improvement in the organisation’s financial performance and financial strength as measured by, for example, reviewing annual trends, compound growth rates and net surpluses
- look for evidence of where the provision of financial information, services and advice assists the organisation in identifying risks and opportunities
- be on the lookout for entries that demonstrate a real team effort and make the most of their talents, with a strong emphasis on people, a shared vision and drawing the team together